Operations Degree Apprenticeship - 2022
Do you want to be a food-hero? Are you finishing your studies and considering your next move? Maybe you’re already working, but a fast-track leadership programme appeals to you? Whatever your circumstances, look no further, we can offer you the opportunity to grow your career with Greencore through our Operations Degree Apprenticeship Programme, and we will support you to develop into a leader of the future.
We supply all of the major supermarkets in the UK. We also supply convenience and travel retail outlets, discounters, coffee shops, foodservice and other retailers. We have strong market positions in a range of categories including sandwiches, salads, sushi, chilled snacking, chilled ready meals, chilled soups and sauces, chilled quiche, ambient sauces and pickles, and frozen Yorkshire Puddings.
In FY21 we manufactured 645m sandwiches and other food to go products, 117m chilled prepared meals, and 257m bottles of cooking sauces, pickles and condiments. We carry out more than 10,500 direct to store deliveries each day. We have 16 world-class manufacturing sites and 18 distribution centres in the UK, with industry-leading technology and supply chain capabilities. We generated revenues of £1.3bn in FY21 and employ approximately 13,000 people. We are headquartered in Dublin, Ireland.
Here in Consett, we have a team of around 280 colleagues. We produce a range of chilled ready meals for some of the UK's leading retailers, including Co-op, Sainsbury's and Weight Watchers.
Join us and be part of our great team, committed to making every day taste better.
What you'll be doing
The Greencore Degree Apprenticeship Programme is designed to help you reach your potential and build a rewarding career in food.
In partnership with Nottingham Trent University, this 4-year degree programme will align your studies to real work, allowing you to earn a great salary and become an integral part of our management team (subject to development and performance).
During your time you will learn about all operations within our factory including food preparation, high risk production, despatch, hygiene and business improvement. The programme is rotational in nature, so you’ll get a broad understanding of how we feed the nation before you progress into your next role. As your leadership skills develop, your level of responsibility will grow throughout the duration of the programme. This includes:
- Responsibility for a particular area and ensure that production is always in line with the agreed production plan.
- Managing the team and ensuring that performance within your area is maximised. You’ll achieve this through careful monitoring, identifying trends within a particular area and acting upon opportunities to increase quality and performance. You’ll also understand the value of great communication and you’ll run daily meetings along with weekly briefings for your team to ensure they are clearly focused on their key objectives and as individuals, developed to maximise their potential.
- Working closely with your team, you’ll monitor the effectiveness of machinery and equipment to ensure performance consistency and reliability, with a key focus on always promoting safe working environment.
The programme starts in September 2022, and assessment centres will be held in early 2022.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for you to have a passion for food, innovation and people. You will also be:
- Highly motivated to grow your career, studying for a degree alongside doing a demanding day job
- Resilient and equipped to take change in your stride
- Curious, organised and able to use your excellent communication skills to build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders
We are looking for a minimum of 120 UCAS points (equivalent to 3 A Levels BBB or a BTEC extended Diploma DDM) or demonstratable previous relevant work experience. To participate in the programme, it is also desirable for you to have 5 GCSE's including English language and Maths at grade C/4 or above.
Our operation is 24/7, so there will be a requirement for you to work shifts.
If this sounds like you, join us, grow with Greencore and be a part of driving our future success.
To learn more, access our Early Careers page: https://earlycareers.greencore.com/
What you’ll get in return
Not only will you gain experience across our business whilst completing a fully funded BA (Hons) degree in Management and Leadership and a chartered management apprenticeship you will also have access to our Greencore colleague benefits including:
- The equivalent of a day a week to focus on your University work and programme goals
- Competitive salary and job-related benefits
- Pension up to 8% matched
- Company share save scheme
- Exclusive Greencore employee discount platform
As part of your degree apprenticeship programme, you will be supported with on-the-job training, mentoring and development opportunities to further your career in food.