Area Depot Manager
We’re a vibrant, fast-paced, leading food manufacturer, employing 12,200 colleagues across 16 world-class manufacturing sites and 18 distribution depots (including 3 RDCs of which Hatfield is one) across the UK.
We supply all the UK’s food retailers, with everything from sandwiches, salads, soups and sushi to cooking sauces, pickles, quiche, Yorkshire Puddings and ready meals. With an annual turnover of more than £1.3bn, we manufacture around 619 million sandwiches and other food to go products, 116 million chilled prepared meals and 264 million bottles of cooking sauces & pickles every year. Our distribution network employs nearly 2000 colleagues and is growing every day; we complete more than 10,000 deliveries to stores each day to help keep the nation fed, all serviced by our fleet network of over 1000 vehicles.
We work hard to ensure that Greencore is a great place to work and our people truly are at the core. We’re committed to ensuring all our colleagues have development plans and strive to provide inspiring leadership – in fact, in the past year we’ve seen an 11% increase in the number of colleagues who would recommend Greencore as a place to work.
What you'll be doing
The Area Depot Manager will be responsible for our Hatfield RDC, along with our radial depots in Park Royal (Wembley); Sittingbourne and Southampton. You will:
- Lead and direct the depot teams to ensure the delivery of a cost-efficient service to all customers whilst meeting compliance and legislative requirements
- Provide leadership and direction to the team to ensure that they are engaged, focused, developed and delivering to their potential
- Review labour requirements against available resources and deploy cost effective plans to ensure competent, appropriately trained colleagues are deployed in alignment with business needs
- Review facilities, operations practices, colleague and contractor practices to ensure that safety and compliance are the critical priorities at all times; investigate, identify and implementing improvement or corrective actions following accidents, non-conformance or the identification of trends to ensure that Greencore is a safe place to work and is compliant with all legal standards
- Oversee the utilisation and maintenance of the transport fleet to ensure adherence to all agreed internal and legal standards
- Monitor the quality and completeness of paper and electronic recording to ensure that the team is adopting appropriate administrative procedures and reporting all necessary information to meet audit standards
- Monitor KPI and budget performance to identify and implement continuous improvement programmes to enhance health and safety efficiency and effectiveness of pick, packing and loading of vehicles
- Lead the implementation of local plans and process to ensure that new equipment/functionality is delivered on time safely and embedded in day to day working practices
What we’re looking for
Greencore are looking for an inspirational leader to manage our fast-paced distribution hubs in the south east of England, centred around our Regional Distribution Centre in Hatfield. This role is responsible for servicing some of the biggest retailers with products made by our manufacturing operations and factored goods.
You’ll be used to running multiple warehousing and transport operations, ideally in FMCG. You’ll also know about industry best practice and tools, such as ISOTRAK, voice picking and hand held technology, along with having a passion for safety. We’re also keen to hear from you if you are used to using lean management to drive business improvement. If you hold relevant qualifications in transport or safety that would be an advantage.
Most importantly, you’ll be energised by leading large teams of diverse colleagues to provide excellent customer service.
You’ll have autonomy to run things your way to drive KPIs and profit, supported by centres of excellence in planning, transport management, finance, HR and SHE. The role reports into our Southern Operations Director and forms part of the wider leadership team with our large distribution network, so you’ll have high visibility within our organisation.
What you’ll get in return
- Competitive salary and job-related benefits
- Company car or allowance
- Pension up to 8% matched
- Company share-save scheme
- Investment in your development through our Greencore Qualifications
- Exclusive Greencore employee discount platform
And most importantly, the satisfaction that comes from delivering a great job working with a fabulous team.